Do these decor trends need a rest in 2016?

Do these decor trends need a rest in 2016?

When does a animo become overused and tired?

Sometimes certain trends are grabbed by many homeowners ,  and before you know it they are everywhere and you may begin to feel like you have reached your viewing saturation point.  I get this feeling a lot on Pinterest. It might be a pattern , a wall treatment or specific fabrics.  I find myself thinking... please no more.

Does it really matter to the average homeowner?

Only you can answer that question. I'm not censoring  what a homeowner chooses to use to decorate a home. Rather I am  just commenting that certain  design decisions seem to be very overused , and as a result  if you want to have a home that is a little unique or individual , these design decisions are probably not the way to go.

Chevrons


chevrons , bedding


I have always been a lover of geometric prints.  There was a time when I loved chevron designs , but that affair has ended!  Too bad I have to say good-bye;  perhaps in ten years we will have a reunion.



Animal prints

animal prints

 Here's another design  motif  that when  used in the right setting  added an individual note to a space in the past , but not anymore because faux taxidermy is  everywhere and I am still trying to figure out why.  Are you a lover?


Starbursts


dining room starbursts

Another beautiful motif that has reached the boredom point from overuse.  As a lover of circles and rays I would have to think  long and hard before using a starburst in a design right now.  Too predictable!  Another element on my revisit after 5 years list.


Large horizontal stripes


black and white stripes

When this image first popped up on Pinterest I was attracted to the strong graphic nature of the stripes.   Very quickly bold , equally sized and spaced stripes were popping up everywhere especially black and white ones.  Nothing was sacred as they appeared  on walls , rugs , pillows , tables etc.


And how about you?  Do you have design elements or objects that you think need a rest?  Perhaps you love some of my "tired" choices and want to argue for their continued use.





Share this:

Disqus Comments